Business Genius

I moved to Denmark from the UK, this is my blog.

Friday, June 09, 2006

A moan

Self-doubt. It can be crippling. Unfortunately I am perennially wracked with it. I am happier than I have been for a long time but this irregular life has it's own problems. Lack of financial security being numero uno. I'm on pretty good money at the Mail but it's on a casual basis - maybe 10 or 12 shifts a month. Not quite enough to make ends meet. Plus there's that vague, Protestant guilt at not working all the hours under the sun. I should have a regular job, I tell myself, and not fart-arse around swanning from Denmark to here hoping that something I'm actually interested in doing will turn up. Media jobs for non-Danish speakers in Copenhagen come around as often as Halley's Comet. But something will turn up, or so I tell myself anyway. And then there's the ambiguous feeling I get from being home. Both reassuring and anxiety-inducing. I am trying to shape my room, reclaim it fom its previous incarnations as, variously, my sister's room, my old room, parents' dressing room and then store room. But I don't want to feel too at home there. I left the UK to grow and develop as a person. Coming home sometimes reminds me that I have a long way to go.

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Charlie Bass said...

I suffer from the same guilt all the time: should I be working every hour god sends because I don't have a boss looking over my shoulder all the time?

No, every bit of reading I do, every blog post I write, is practice and experience for my work. You're learning and working all time time, even when you don't think you are.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate, how about a CD Audio Danish course? I did a Spanish one and I it weren't bad like...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home