Business Genius

I moved to Denmark from the UK, this is my blog.

Friday, April 07, 2006

On the net

One thing I have noticed about having a blog is how rapidly it takes on addictive properties. Although I doubt there are few, if any, regular readers, somehow once you start throwing this stuff out there it's difficult to stop. I guess it's a question of mediums. I've tried keeping written diaries before but soon gave up. This feels more substantial in some way. More real. Seeing your words on the screen is enough to make any would-be writer feel happy I suppose. I first used the net in about 96 or 97 and I remember clearly the thrilling strangeness of making my first online acquaintance. I think I wrote a review of a Knut Hamsun book on Amazon and noticed that someone else had written a similarly positive piece so I mailed them. He was Spanish and we kept an email exchange up for a day or two and then we stopped, neither of us knowing exactly what the point in it all was I imagine. Now the net is a blur of communication with people you know and, more frequently, people you don't. One thing that fascinates me is the way people personalise the way they use the net. Do people really surf that much these days? For many people, their net use is limited to work and for them it's usually a case of 'log on in the morning, check the beeb or Guardian, have a look at the weather, check the forum they post on, do a spot of banking and then offer to make some coffee'. Getting off your favourites list takes a fair bit of effort these days! Regardless of that, the net is still a huge part of many people's lives these days. I can't imagine how I would successfully get this business off the ground without it. To date, I've used the web to search for clients, get advice on tax and setting up my own site and look for potential competitors. I've used email to contact clients, MSN to communicate with a new contact, Myspace messaging to make new contacts, Skype to stay in touch with my girlfriend while I'm in the UK and this blog to spew out all the detritus clogging up my brain. And that's probably not the half of it. Obviously business existed before the net but business with the net is a different kettle of fish. It's sink or swim in that unless you're at ease with the nature of modern communication then you're just treading water. Here endeth today's sermon.

3 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my case, business IS the net. The fact that I can be based here and work for UK companies AND local clients is purely down to the net, VPN, MSN, whatever, not possible without it.

I could live on Easter Island and still do what I do now, as long as the net was there. Mind you, local clients might be a problem, unless those big head statue guys need any copywriting done...

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron, this is your sister in law! I love the way you write - why haven't you shown me your stuff before? (I hope I'm not being inappropriate, as when I showed you my new lingerie...)
Please write a novel - and give me a signed copy. See you! M.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron, this is your dad! Why hadn't you told me that M had shown you her new lingerie before? (I hope I'm not being inappropriate, as with your blonde girlfriend that time...)

See you! Dad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home