Business Genius

I moved to Denmark from the UK, this is my blog.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Reconsidering

I've been wondering what the point in this is. I desperately don't want to add another tedium-filled 'I did this and then I did that' blog to an already tedium-choked internet. I know that if I was 100 per cent committed to starting a successful business then my daily observations on my struggles, ups, downs etc would make for a genuinely worthwhile read. But as you can tell, events have intervened and if I get the job I have applied for I won't be pursuing the business idea. Not yet at any rate. All of which leads me to make one conclusion about business - it's not for the faint-hearted. I find it so daunting to think that the only thing staving off penury is getting my own company off the ground. Particularly in as competitive an industry as copy-editing. I thought my idea was nigh on revolutionary but the more I dug the more I found that Denmark is well-stocked with native English speakers offering their services to Danish firms needing a helping hand with their English texts. Which is not to say that there is not room for one more. I think I could do this, I'm just not sure I could do it in time to start putting food on the table. I need to work. And fast. The idea of my own company is a dream. In an ideal world I would be getting a steady trickle of income from my little copy-editing company, selling the occasional article back to some English publications, working on my novel and generally living free of the constraints of regular employment. But there's a reason why that's a dream for many and a reality for few. It's bloody difficult!
Getting back to my original point - if this blog is not to be the highs and lows of a would-be business genius, then what is it to be about? I don't know I'm afraid. I think part of the reason I'm here in Denmark in the first place is because I just don't know. I don't really know what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. I just knew I couldn't keep doing what I was doing before. I am just one voice among millions, spewing words out into cyberspace, hoping that someone somewhere might find something akin to their own experience in what I write. I guess that's why we write in the first place. To give form to what was formless. But the net is a new frontier and, just like any new expansion, some people are forging ahead and others are falling by the wayside. Yet more will just settle for their little patch of land, by the creek, next to the approaching railroad. It's safe there at any rate.
I don't know why I am doing this. But I am doing it anyway.

3 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron - for what it's worth, I've been aware of blogs for a while but never really bothered following any of them to any extent, yet I've found myself dipping in and out of here fairly regularly.

Whether it's a vicarious thing (you might think your life is fairly dull, but believe me, a blog that I wrote would be ABSOLUTE tedium !) or just curiosity, but I've been quite looking forward to the updates whether you start up the business or not.

I think I probably just find it quite interesting to see the way someone else perceives things and thinks about them - which I suppose is the whole point/attraction of blogs, however, I think it probably helps if the author is fairly articulate and writes well (which you are, and do) and if nothing else, it will keep you writing - something that I USED to do, but would probably find quite difficult to get back into now.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do anyway.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Aaron78 said...

Cheers Pablo! It's good to know someone's reading!!

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..here's someone else...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home